Friday 29 May 2009

29 May 2009 – Walk: Watcombe to Torquay (7.4 Miles)

Synopsis:  Just a short walk done with the least planning. Watcombe Beach is quite lovely, and the word is out, for although quite inaccessible and without amenities, quite a few families were there.

GPS Tracklog Download (.gpx) Microsoft OneDrive -:- Google Drive
 
Tracklog overlay - OS – WheresThePath
 
Tracklog overlay (1 – Watcombe) - OSM – ViewRanger
 
Tracklog overlay (2 – Torquay) - OSM – ViewRanger
 
_002 St Mary Church Church_009 St Mary Church_010 Babbacombe_012 Torquay 
(selection of photos from Flickr photo set – use link above to view album)

Ah, the No. 2 bus to Newton Abbot, what a long torturous journey this is. If the bus journey weren’t part of the day out, this might be considered an awful waste of time, but for me I enjoy the time to relax and watch the scenery pass me buy. The nearest I shall ever get to chauffeur driven.

_001 Watcombe BeachWatcombe Beach

I got to Watcombe Beach in time for a late lunch. As there is no car access to this beach, I’m a little surprised by just how many people there are here. I guess this is the crowd who like to get away from it all, the only problem being they’re quite large in number. I watch a couple of boys paddling an inflatable dingy over calm waters, and some boys and girls jumping into the sea from a rock. When I say there are no amenities, that’s a little unfair, as there is a shack on the beach that serves sustenance, even so far as a bag of chips if you’re lucky.

 


My next port of call was St Marychurch. This has a quiet olde worlde feel about it. It manages to sustain two rather large and grand churches, quite how I don’t know. I suspect they came about from rivalry between the Catholic and the Church of England faiths. Who won out? Well, I’ll leave you to make that judgement.

_008 St Mary ChurchFree consultation for the desperate

There was a Family Matters shop front in St Marychurch which made me smile. Is this what families are all about these days? Well, I shall take this as a ‘sign of the times’. At least someone is making a living from it.

P.S. In case you’re wondering why there’s a break in the walk track, it’s because I cheated a little by jumping on a bus cutting out a section of the coast path that I know well. Well, it was hot and the bus just happened to be there!

 

 

 

Walk Statistics:

Total Distance: 7.4 miles (walked) +1.8 miles (bus hop)
Moving Time: 2hrs 370min
Stopped Time: 48min
Total Ascent: 369 metres
Maximum Elevation: 158 metres

Buses: 2, 12, 32 & 46

No comments:

Post a Comment