Saturday 2 May 2009

02 May 2009 – Walk: Doccombe to Bovey Tracey (16 Miles)

Synopsis:  Return visit to the bluebell woods walked on 18th April, but this time the bluebells were in bloom. Walk started from Doccombe, walking to Bovey Tracey via Hennock.

GPS Tracklog Download (.gpx) Microsoft OneDrive -:- Google Drive
 
 
_012 Blackingstone Rock_013 Blackingstone Rock_053 Doccombe to Bovey Tracey_075 Doccombe to Bovey Tracey_085 Doccombe to Bovey Tracey_134 Doccombe to Bovey Tracey(selection of photos from Flickr photo set – use link above to view album)

This always looked to be a long walk, but I knew the buses from Bovey Tracey run late into the evening, so there was little problem with tackling this fairly ambitious walk. The main objective, as mentioned above, derives from my walk of 18th April on which I came across bluebell woods, but found only a few of the bluebells in bloom. It did whet my appetite, and I determined then that I should revisit this area. I was counting on the warm spell of the last couple of weeks having brought on the bluebells. The real challenge was always going to be whether or not I am able to capture any good photo shots of bluebells as I don’t find them easy to photograph, as it’s very difficult to get any depth or perspective, and flat photos are not appealing.

_002 DoccombeDoccombe village, start of my walk

To begin the day I caught the 8:45 bus from the bus station to Moretonhampstead, alighting at Doccombe. This is a small village on what is usually quite a busy road, but at 9:25 when I arrive there it’s very quiet and the stroll back along the road doesn’t prove too unnerving. I’m soon on a path heading up into trees leaving all semblance of man and machine far behind. It’s a quiet remote area with not a sole to be seen as I picked my way across country in the direction of Blackingstone Rock.

_010 Blackingstone RockBlackingstone Rock

 



Although Blackingstone Rock is quite formidable in size, I didn’t see it till I was right on it. This is mostly due to it being surrounded by trees. I climbed the hill to the base of the rock, and then discover there are steps to the top, which was to be my goal. The steps are very steep, and I was very glad of the handrail to steady my climb. The top is a relatively flat plateau from where the views in all directions were really splendid.


From Blackingstone Rock, which I skid my way down on slippery grass slopes, I pick up a lane and head off in the direction of the reservoirs that supply Torbay. As I approach Kennick I’m greeted with a “Are you feeling strong?” quip from a family with camper van. I find that they have got their camper bogged down on a track and need help to get it out. The ground is so soft and the motorhome so deep in the mud that our efforts to dig it out are all to no avail. The husband/father mumbles something about he never experienced this problem whilst driving tanks. I guess the handling characteristics of a Volkswagen motorhome are a little different to those of a tank (try persuading the family to go on holiday in a tank! happy). Luckily another family arrives and offer to tow the motorhome out of the mud. This proved the answer to their problems.

_018 Kennick ReservoirKennick Reservoir

I skirt around Kennick Reservoir and head for Tottiford, where I stop on the banks of the water side and have some lunch. A lovely spot to sit in the sun and watch the ducks and coots swimming by. The coots were particularly noisy.

 

 

 

 

 

_077 Doccombe to Bovey TraceyBluebells at Shaptor Woods near Bovey Tracey

After lunch I crossed Tottiford  on a bridge that spans the girth of water midway down its length and then picked up Trenchford Reservoir, which I circled around. My next objective was Shaptor Woods, in search of bluebells. I was not disappointed. The bluebells were out in vast numbers, and they looked lovely in the sun that was streaming through the canopy of trees. I spend quite a lot of time taking photos before I broke for a drink, and then headed off in search of my next bluebell objective, the woods at Great Rock. I still had quite a few miles of walking to do to reach Bovey Tracey and by now the afternoon was well advanced, but I didn’t want to miss seeing this woods.

_125 Doccombe to Bovey TraceyFerns in the woods at Great Rock near Hennock


By the time I get to Great Rock woods the sun was rather low in the sky and the path I walked followed a north-east facing hillside, therefore the light wasn’t good for taking photographs. I took a few photos anyway, finding the ferns were the most photogenic plant around, their architectural quality means that they catch the eye of the camera well. I then proceeded rather hurriedly on my way towards Hennock.

 

_150 HennockHennock

 

 

 

 


I didn’t dawdle in Hennock, as there was a fair chance I could catch the 18:20 bus from Bovey Tracey if I made good time. It was quite easy going from here on in, as it’s mostly down hill and along lanes. I make Hennock in good time, which seemed as sleepy as ever. On leaving Hennock I briefly catch sight of what I think are the clay quarries near Chudleigh Knighton. These form a gash in the countryside of considerable size, but luckily are not visible from most directions.


Waiting for the bus in Bovey Tracey I notice just how busy this place is. People heading to the shops and take-aways, to the cash machine, returning hire videos, looking lost, and generally milling about. I suppose the town serves quite a broad community, and that in part at least could be some explanation for this hive of activity I watched happening all around me. Of course there is a Tesco store as there is everywhere these days.

This was a nice walk, with far more to it than just the bluebells, splendid though these were. There was a lot of colour in the hedgerows and that added to the enjoyment of the walk. I am still unable to identify as many wild flowers as I should be able to after all these years of walking, but I continue to work at it.

Walk Statistics:

Total Distance: 16.0 miles
Moving Time: 5hrs 59min
Stopped Time: 2hrs 12min
Total Ascent: 683 metres
Maximum Elevation: 359 metres

Buses: H1, 359 & 39

No comments:

Post a Comment