Friday 17 December 2010

17 December 2010 – Walk: About Exeter (6.7 Miles)

Synopsis: There had been a heavy snow fall, nearly two inches! so I thought I’d take a swim as usual (in indoor pool) and then stroll around Exeter for a while.

GPS Tracklog Download (.gpx) Microsoft OneDrive -:- Google Drive
 
 
Exeter 007Exeter 021Exeter 028Exeter 031Exeter 036Exeter 057
(selection of photos from Flickr photo set – use link above to view album)

A small amount of snow had fallen overnight, so after my early morning swim I decided to stay in town and take a walk. The sun was shining and quite warming, although it was worth keeping out of the wind which was rather chill.

I decided to focus my walking on the parks of Exeter. The Cathedral is currently off-limits due to substantial building works taking place in the Cathedral Close. I walked through Southernhay, on to Northernhay and then into Rougemont Gardens.

Exeter 015
Northernhay Gardens - John Dinham

The statues in the parks appeared to be boldly proud against the snow. This is John Dinham, who was a philanthropist who bought the land at Dinham Mount close by, because the land was being used for fairs, and he was concerned about the effect this might have on the morals of the young. Yes, obviously a bit of a killjoy, but I suppose his heart was in the right place. The church of St Michaels on Dinham Mount, erected in memory of John Dinham, was funded largely by William Gibbs of Tyntesfield.

I took my lunch on a favourite bench of mine, one that is beside the City Wall, sheltered from the wind, but facing the quay and into the sun. It’s always a warm and sheltered spot, even on a day like this. People passing me seemed to be in fine festive spirits, for I was greeted with hellos from a number of passers by.

Exeter 054
Dissenters Cemetery, near Bull Meadow

 

 

 

I walked past the Dissenters Graveyard by Bull Meadow on my way home. It was only very recently that I discovered what this was, my curiosity having been invoked by an article in our local paper, that spoke of a local speculator having bought the land in the hope that it might be built on. Building permission has been refused, which I think is only proper.


Those buried in this graveyard dissented from the domination of the established orthodox church. They were a varied lot - Presbyterians, Unitarians, Independents (later Congregationalists) Baptists, Quakers and later the Methodists. Apparently the Unitarians, that met at Georges Meeting Hall, managed the graveyard, but they were one of the first sects to disappear, and since that time the graveyard has been largely neglected.

Walk Statistics:

Total Distance: 6.7 miles
Moving Time: 2hrs 36min
Stopped Time: 1hr 13min
Total Ascent: 227 metres
Maximum Elevation: 65 metres

Buses: (None)

No comments:

Post a Comment