Saturday 11 July 2009

11 July 2009 – Walk: Bickleigh to Bradninch (13 Miles)

Synopsis: A walk in mid Devon country, partly inspired by my walk of last week. Fields of green and soil of red. A Morris church window to see at Butterleigh, which was something of a nice surprise.

GPS Tracklog Download (.gpx) Microsoft OneDrive -:- Google Drive
 
 
_007 Bickleigh to Bradninch_016 Butterleigh Church_019 Bickleigh to Bradninch_034 Bickleigh to Bradninch_037 Bickleigh to Bradninch 
(selection of photos from Flickr photo set – use link above to view album)

The weather forecast for the day of this walk was not good, but I felt the urge to get some fresh air and exercise. As the weather was forecast to deteriorate as the day wore on, I decided upon making an early start, up at 5:30am and on the bus by 7:30am, my destination Bickleigh.

There was the occasional light rain falling making the vegetation very wet, which meant I had to put on gaiters to keep myself reasonably dry. As the green lanes that I found I often found myself in were much overgrown, I did get several soakings, but as the day was warm I really didn’t mind.

_018 Butterleigh ChurchMorris window in Butterleigh Church

I did a minor detour to visit the village of Butterleigh and its church. There was a window in the church that caught my eye, and I was looking at when a lady entered the church. At first she hadn’t noticed I was there, but eventually she shouted across a friendly hello to me. They seem to operate a small visitors centre at the church, and I think she was part of this group. The place was most welcoming. She described the window as the ‘Morris window’. It certainly has the style of that period which makes it stand out amongst all the other windows in the church. I rather liked it.

_017 Butterleigh ChurchPoor box of 1629 in Butterleigh Church

 

 

 

 

  


In the church there is also a poor box carved out of a single piece of oak, with a date inscribed on it of 1629. I’d never before seen anything quite like this.

 

 

 

A little further on from Butterleigh I enter a field and as I check out my route across it I spot what I think to be a bull with heifers. I take a little closer look and yes, it’s definitely a bull. I decide we should take stock of each other before either of us made a move. I stood there looking at it, and he at me. The bull was standing right on the route I should walk. After a few minutes I decide he hasn’t much interest in me, so continue to walk across this field,although I give him a wide berth. When you see the large haunches of a bull it is quite intimidating. I don’t usually find bulls out in the fields with heifers until later in the year, but today I came across two.

_029 Bickleigh to BradninchTumulus in the woods

On route there was a tumulus in a woods which I had decided upon taking a little detour so as to have a closer look. It is quite a visible mount, very atmospheric tucked away as it is in the forest. As I march on I find that I’m only about 2 miles from Cullompton,so I decide to make that my lunch venue. There was a lovely view of Cullompton in the valley as I walked the track through the forest. I could see a rain belt moving along the length of the valley.

 

_054 BradninchAustin A40 complete with art work

 


On arriving in Cullompton I looked for a park in which to eat my lunch, but had to settle for a bench by the side of the road. After lunch I followed a lane gently rising out of Cullompton in the direction of Bradninch. As I approached Bradninch the rain set in quite hard so I decided to make my way home as quickly as possible. Glimpsed this sporty looking car just across the road from the bus stop, complete with art work on the roof. I bet this puts your car to shame.

 

The day proved enjoyable despite the rather damp conditions. I think the countryside around this area some of the finest that the county has to offer, and in Devon that’s quite some recommendation. This is the Devon the tourists never see, and for them so much the pity. And in many ways the light is so much better for taking photos than on a bright sunny day, as the colours are so much richer.

Walk Statistics:

Total Distance: 13.50miles
Moving Time: 5hrs 6min
Stopped Time: 52min
Total Ascent: 483 metres
Maximum Elevation: 188 metres

Buses: H1, 55, 1

No comments:

Post a Comment